Sunday, June 8, 2008

On being called a MILF

I went to dinner with some friends mid-May to celebrate a 30th birthday. I was probably one of the oldest people in the group, but the even more interesting thing was that I was the only married person present. The rest were singletons or with significants. I broke the news about my pregnancy to this group of friends that evening and got tons of questions about it. The questions usually go something like this:

1. How are you feeling?
2. When are you due?
3. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?
4. How far along are you?

It's pretty much the same series of questions from people who don't have kids of their own. For my friends who have kids it usually goes like this:

1. How far along are you?
2. When are you due?
3. How are you feeling?
4. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?

It's interesting to me the questions that people ask about my pregnancy because aside from the usual pleasantries, most childless folks usually run out of stuff to talk to me about after about 5 minutes whereas folks with kids can talk to me for days. I suppose it's the same with pet owners. We can go on and on about all the cute and disgusting things our pets did while the petless people just sit there and have nothing to contribute.

At this dinner, I was also sporting my new short haircut. Everyone seemed to think it looked great on me, which was positive reinforcement for taking a risk and chopping off 4 inches of hair. I was wondering if it looked okay on me. One of the friends commented that now that I was a pregnant woman, my status could turn into a MILF. I was puzzled by this comment because first, I didn't know what a MILF was and second, what did being pregnant have to do with being different in a MILF kind of way? This friend, incidentally, is a gay male, who in the past several social gathering began to feel comfortable enough with me to the point of being obscenely honest with his comments. This MILF comment was no different because he quickly saw my puzzled expression and explained that a MILF stood for "Mother I'd Like to Fuck."

I blushed with embarrassment. He explained that there were men out there who were turned on by "older women" like me who had kids. I was intrigued by this desire. I thought aloud and commented on the possible reasons for this phenomenon: perhaps these men longed for a mother figure because they themselves were still immature; perhaps these men were experiencing long-term affects of repressed Oedipal desires for their mother and projected those repressed feeling onto attractive women with children; or perhaps this was merely the latest fetish.

After feeling a bit embarrassed at this bluntly honest comment, I did feel a heightened sense of attractiveness. After all, for the past month I had felt like a large whale, unable to reveal my pregnancy as well as not looking at all pregnant. Maybe the haircut, the makeup and the outfit did make me look uber-desirable that evening.

Several days later, the conversation came back to my mind and I googled MILF. I was shocked to find the large number of websites that pointed to MILF-porn. The wicktionary provided this interesting definition as well: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/MILF

I guess I was partially correct in that MILF porn was the latest fetish. The interesting thing was also the trope of the MILF-in-heat and on the hunt for younger flesh. Deviant status always cut both ways with deviant behavior. So perhaps my friend was being complimentary, but on the other hand, I think I'd rather not be associated with any form of "desperate housewiving."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't know what a MILF was??? Oh boy have we got some edumacating to do with you! -tpk