Ever think about those catchy idioms you use in your every day to describe your mood or situation? Well lately, I've had some time to think about some handy-dandy sayings and a whole new understanding of them now I'm a mom.
"Priming the pump"
Mainly an American idiom, the meaning has to do with the effort you put into something to in order to get it to succeed. Many also think about this phrase in conjunction with pumping gas, as in filling up one's gas tank. In my case, this idiom now refers breastfeeding, or what I affectionately refer as my "super power" - being able to dispense milk on demand. Lactation experts recommend breastfeeders to "manually express" breast milk from time to time in order to get the milk properly flowing. Manual expression is supposed to be an important step in getting your milk flowing for feeding and pumping sessions or if you don't have a pump but just need some relief from engorgement. Engorgement is when your boobs are in pain becacuse they are super-full of milk. Yes, too much information at this point...
"Labor of love"
An idiom that refers to hard work that one does that give great satisfaction or pleasure. In my case, literally laboring or giving birth to my baby boy, the love of my life. Labor was definitely no joke and hard work does not even begin to describe it. The only reason I can think of why women go through such physical trauma has to be for the baby they end up producing, which I presume is a great source of happiness and joy. Yet I wonder for first time mothers, how would you know that you'll love your baby after the trauma of birth? What a leap of faith...
"Shoot the moon"
This idiom has always amused me because I am familiar with it in two contexts. First, it means to take a big risk in order to gain great reward, or to "go for broke." Second, D plays Hearts with some friends and this phrase refers to winning a round by achieving the lowest score possible (I think this is correct). As a parent, this phrase now reminds of the dangers of diaper changing. My little boy has a propensity of peeing on me (never D) when I'm changing his diapers. The angle of his pee is usually straight up, to which it seems to me like he's shooting for the moon. Okay, TMI again, but you get the point.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment