D spontaneously called me up in the middle of the day at work last week. Since he almost never calls me in the middle of the day for anything and since he went out of his way to call even though he knows how busy I am at work, I decided to pick up my cell phone. He had a suggestion for something spontaneous to do: his co-workers were going to the Police concert and did I want to go too? I thought about it for a little while and run through my calendar in my brain. I decided what the heck? So last we were at the Concord Pavilion and we got to see both Elvis Costello and the Police. It was a fantastic concert.The most amazing part of it was that we originally paid for lawn tickets but on our way out to the lawn area, an employee approached us with an upgrade. We decided to take the tickets even thought that meant sitting apart from D's co-workers. We had no idea how awesome the tickets would be until we decided to move up when the Police started to play. The pic above is taken from our seats, which ended up being in the section right behind the floor seats. If you look closely at the pic, you can see Sting in the monitor. Sweet!
So aside from having sweet seats, the entire night was a bit surreal. I definitely felt like an older person, especially because I was at a concert with the Police, after all, and most of the audience was, well... white, older, kind of crunchy (hippie), and had an air of affluence about them. I saw a lot of Land's End, Birkenstocks, and male pony tails last night and I don't think any of them would be caught dead listening to the kind of hip hop music I sometimes liked.
Aside from the unusual surroundings, I really enjoyed the concert. I recently started being a fan of Stuart Copeland, the insanely talented drummer, when I saw a clip of him hopping on a set of drums at a small club. That man is awesome to watch! I particularly enjoyed his percussion skills during the song "Wrapped Around Your Finger" in which he played bells, chimes, a huge gong, tympanies, xylophone, and drums. The band's rendition of "So Lonely" was also another memorable moment because of the guitar solo and Sting's penchance for yodeling "EEE-YYOOOO-OOOOHHH." I loved it.
In retrospect, the only reason why I listened to this music when I was growing up was because my older aunts and uncles took care of me when I was a kid. Since no one else was around and since I had no siblings to hang out with, I grew to love what my aunt and uncle loved - including new wave, modern rock, and rock in general. Love for that kind of music is still with me today. I am glad to have such an eclectic music taste.
It was terrific going with D as well because even though we are some years apart in age, we have overlapping musical tastes. The Police is one of those bands that we both dig. We were both able to sing a long to the songs and he even got up to dance a bit with me (which is so unlike him!).
He made a very sweet remark as we were walking in as well. He said that we can say that the baby's first concert was The Police! What a wonderful observation. I can't wait to tell that story to people after the baby is born! After all, if we didn't go to this concert, the baby's first would have been John Mayer next weekend. There's nothing wrong with that but it's definitely cooler to say The Police!
No comments:
Post a Comment